The Hedberg is a world-class performing arts precinct, located in the heart of Hobart, Tasmania that encompasses the historic Theatre Royal and the University of Tasmania. The Hedberg was built through a collaborative partnership between the Australian and Tasmanian Governments, the University of Tasmania, and the Theatre Royal.

History

The Wapping District and Hobart Rivulet, 1915

The Hedberg stands on the lands of the muwinina and palawa peoples, who cared for and protected the land for thousands of years. Situated close to timtumili minanya (Derwent River) then, as now, this is a site of strong palawa presence. After European settlement the area became known as Wapping, and was the location of working class homes, industry and entertainment. The building is named after the Hedberg Brothers Garage, which was built on the site in 1925.

Architecture

Architectural render of the Hedberg at night, from the corner of Collins and Campbell Streets (credits: Liminal Architecture and WOHA)

Tasmanian design studio, Liminal Architecture has partnered with internationally-renowned Singaporean architects WOHA to design the world-class performing and creative facilities. Archaeological work was completed in consultation with the Tasmanian Heritage Council and results from the archaeological investigation have informed aspects of the design.

Architects

Liminal StudioWOHA

Location

Map showing The Hedberg location

Hedberg Performing Arts Precinct

19-29 Campbell Street
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia

Partnerships

A historic partnership

The Hedberg is the result of a historic agreement between the University of Tasmania and the Australian and Tasmanian Governments and has been developed in partnership with the Department of State Growth and the Theatre Royal.

Partners

Tasmanian GovernmentThe University of Tasmania logoTheatre Royal logo

Design by Liminal Architecture with WOHA. Renders by Doug & Wolf.